Is your acne aggravated during the Summer? Suffering unusual break-outs with the heat? Here are some reason why you may be making your acne worse and what to do to stop the break-outs:
– Make sure to use non-comedogenic Sunscreen. Oily and comedogenic sunscreens can clog pores not only on the face but also on the back, chest area and even the buttox causing additional break-outs. Germain Dermatology offers a wide array of sunscreens catered to each skin type.
– Don’t let sweat sit. Always wipe away areas of sweat (like the forehead) with a clean towel or damp cloth, and change out of sweaty clothes promptly to avoid excess break-outs.
– Shy away from heavy foundations. During hotter months when sweating increases it is best to use a light mineral based makeup to help prevent clogging of pores and bacteria. Dr. Germain recommends Colorescience’s Sunforgettable Loose Mineral Sunscreen foundation or the Jane Iredale Mineral line (full line available at Germain Dermatology). If you want a heavier foundation opt for those that are 100% oil free.
– Don’t over wash. Even oily skin only needs to be cleansed up to twice daily. Over washing can lead actually lead to more oil production making acne worse.
– Exfoliate. Especially during summer when sweat, dirt and oil is abundant exfoliating once a week with a gentle scrub can help to slough off dead skin that would clog pores, reduce oil and remove deep bacteria. Dr. Germain recommends the Germain Rx Green Tea Scrub or for those who suffer from regular acne the Germain Rx Brightening Polish with micro beads and acne fighting ingredients like Glycolic and Salicylic acids